Connecting Africa is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 3099067.

4G/5G

Forget Orange Kenya Now It's Telkom

Article Image
The mobile sector in Kenya just witnessed another upheaval as the Orange brand finally disappeared from the market, replaced simply by the name Telkom.

In June 2016 Orange, having helped to build up a mobile operation that ranked third in the Kenyan market, sold its stake to Helios Investment Partners, which now owns 60% of the resulting company (while the remaining 40% stake is held by the Kenyan government).

With a new name and a new brand, the Telkom management team now has a mammoth task to build up its mobile business, which now, according to the Ovum World Cellular Information Service (WCIS), only commands a 6.5% share of a market that has more than 37 million subscribers.

That market share has shrunk in the past year as new rules were introduced forcing the operators to declare only "active" users. That knocked millions off Telkom's mobile user base and it now only has about 2.5 million customers, much lower than its rivals Airtel Kenya and the clear market leader Safaricom (about 75% market share). (See Kenya's Mobile Numbers Dip as Telkom Hits the Revise Button .)

But Telkom's CEO Aldo Mareuse is determined to send those numbers in the right direction and has been investing during the past year, pumping 5 billion Kenyan Shillings (US$48.4 million) into mobile network expansion, adding 1,600 sites according to local reports.

Telkom CEO Aldo Mareuse is looking to pick up market share with a focus on data services.
Telkom CEO Aldo Mareuse is looking to pick up market share with a focus on data services.

Mareuse has also been talking up the company's new strategy, which is focused on mobile data services: indeed, the new brand and new name come hand-in-hand with a promotional offer of one month of free daily 4G data and free daily access to WhatsApp for one month. (See Telkom Kenya Set for Relaunch.)

Telkom's efforts have been anticipated, though, with market leader Safaricom recently boasting of its upgraded 4G network capabilities in major towns. (See Safaricom Boasts Enhanced 4G Service With LTE-A Deployments.)

Ray Le Maistre, Follow me on TwitterVisit my LinkedIn profile, International Group Editor, Light Reading for Connecting Africa.

Innovation hub

Story

Four agritech startups to watch in 2024

Connecting Africa has compiled a list of four agritech startups that are making a difference in the communities they serve.

Story

Paymentology looks to strengthen its African roots

Global issuer-processor Paymentology's CEO Jeff Parker spoke to Connecting Africa about the company's African roots and aspirations to work with more banks, fintechs and enterprises both on the continent and globally.

More Innovation hub

Latest video

More videos

Partner perspectives

All Partner Perspectives

Sponsored video

More videos

Industry announcements

More Industry announcements

Upcoming events

Africa Tech Festival 2024
November 11-14, 2024
Cape Town, South Africa
More Upcoming events

Africa Tech Perspectives

Story

Uber's Marjorie Saint-Lot on inclusion and sustainability in Africa

Uber's Country Manager for Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire, Marjorie Saint-Lot, shares how the ride-hailing company is approaching public-private partnerships, environmentally friendly initiatives and gender inclusion in Africa.

Story

The 100 most influential African leaders in 2023

A new report from Africa Tech Festival and Connecting Africa puts a spotlight on the top 100 African leaders in the telecoms and technology sector in 2023.

Story

Deep dive into East Africa's tech startup ecosystem

New survey reveals a lack of access to investors, reliance on international VCs and global recession trends as the biggest barriers for East African tech startups to access funds.

More Africa Tech perspectives

Guest Perspectives

Story

Omdia View: February 2024

By Omdia Analysts

Highlights in February 2024 in the Middle East and Africa included 5G launches in Senegal and 5G trials in Egypt as well as Kenya's first 5G MVNO. Airtel also launched a new wholesale connectivity business while MTN and Huawei are planning a joint Innovation Technology Lab in South Africa – that and more in this month's Omdia View.

Story

Omdia View: January 2024

By Omdia Analysts

Highlights in January 2024 in the Middle East and Africa included a $200 million fintech deal between MTN and Mastercard as well as 5G network trials by Telecom Egypt – that and more in this month's Omdia View.

More Guest Perspectives

Like us on Facebook

Newsletter Sign Up


Sign Up
Tag id test-002