Connecting Africa is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 3099067.

Business of Tech

Telkom Kenya now 100% owned by Kenyan government

Article Image
The Kenyan government now owns 100% of telecoms operator, Telkom Kenya, upping its 40% shareholding by buying the remaining 60% stake owned by British investment firm Helios Investment Partners.

The East African country's government is reportedly paying 6.09 billion Kenyan Shillings (US$50.4 million) for the 60% stake and Kenyan media publications are reporting that the government found a loophole to spend the money without the approval of Parliament.

"Already, the Treasury has invoked Article 223 of the Constitution that allows them to spend money without the approval of Parliament. They have approved the withdrawal of KES45.67 billion ($377 million) out of which KES23 billion ($190 million) has been paid out," Kenya's Parliamentary Budget Office acting director Martin Masinde told Pulse Live.

Jamhuri Holdings Limited (JHL), a company owned 100% by Helios Investors, originally acquired a majority stake in Telkom Kenya from France Telecom back in June 2016, through its local subsidiary Orange.

That transaction also included an increase in the shareholding of the Kenyan government in Telkom from 30% to 40%.

A treasury official told Business Daily that the Kenyan government bought the remaining shares after Helios threatened to quit.

"We bought the shares because the government was afraid Helios was going to sell to an investor that did [not] share the same vision with us in the turnaround of Telkom Kenya," the official was quoted saying.


Want to know more about telco financials, regulation and deals in Africa? Check out our dedicated Business of Tech content channel here on Connecting Africa.


The government buyout comes after a failed merger between Telkom Kenya and Airtel back in 2020 which would have seen the telcos joining forces to take on dominant operator Safaricom.

After walking away from the deal Telkom Kenya has remained firmly in third place when it comes to Kenya's mobile users, with about 4.4 million mobile customers in the second quarter of 2022, stats from market research company Omdia show.

Telkom is far behind market leader Safaricom's almost 43 million subscribers and second place Airtel Kenya's 16.4 million users but does come out ahead of Jamii Telecommunications which only has 275,000 subscribers.

Related posts:

*Top image source: Image by Allexxandar on Freepik

— Matshepo Sehloho, Associate Editor, Connecting Africa

Innovation hub

Story

Five mobility startups to watch in 2024

Connecting Africa has compiled a list of five mobility startups that are making a difference in the communities they serve.

Story

Orange Ventures, Digital Africa promise more funding for startups

Orange Ventures and Digital Africa are teaming up to invest more in tech startups in Africa and the Middle East through Digital Africa's Fuz program and the Orange Digital Center network.

More Innovation hub

Latest video

More videos

Partner perspectives

All Partner Perspectives

Sponsored video

More videos

Follow us on X

Industry announcements

More Industry announcements

Upcoming events

Africa Tech Festival 2024
November 11-14, 2024
Cape Town, South Africa
More Upcoming events

Africa Tech Perspectives

Story

Uber's Marjorie Saint-Lot on inclusion and sustainability in Africa

Uber's Country Manager for Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire, Marjorie Saint-Lot, shares how the ride-hailing company is approaching public-private partnerships, environmentally friendly initiatives and gender inclusion in Africa.

Story

The 100 most influential African leaders in 2023

A new report from Africa Tech Festival and Connecting Africa puts a spotlight on the top 100 African leaders in the telecoms and technology sector in 2023.

Story

Deep dive into East Africa's tech startup ecosystem

New survey reveals a lack of access to investors, reliance on international VCs and global recession trends as the biggest barriers for East African tech startups to access funds.

More Africa Tech perspectives

Guest Perspectives

Story

How e-mobility could transform Africa's transport sector

By Francis Hook

ICT analyst Francis Hook delves into Africa's e-mobility sector and unpacks the challenges faced locally and the benefits the move to electric vehicles could bring to urban transport systems.

Story

Omdia View: April 2024

By Omdia Analysts

April 2024's telecoms highlights in the Middle East and Africa included a license for Starlink in Ghana, new mobile termination rates in Ethiopia, and 6G trials in Bahrain – that and more in the latest Omdia View.

More Guest Perspectives

Like us on Facebook

Newsletter Sign Up


Sign Up
Tag id test-002